Saturday, May 14, 2016

FontLab's TypeTool 3.1 Wins

TypeTool 3.1 Font Editor
Okay folks, I'm going with FontLab's (R) TypeTool 3.1. I'm using the Demo and it works fine, no crashes, no issues so far and it's fairly easy to use once you get used to the interface. Guides are a big help and so is importing backgrounds. I love it!

And for about $47, it's a fair price.

Let me know if you're using TypeTool 3.1. I'd like to see the fonts you're dreaming up.

I've started re-doing my drunk_hemingway font for practice and it's a lot of fun.

Since I'm just starting out, I'm going to hold off for now on getting Fontographer 5.2 until I get my feet wet with TypeTool 3.1. After all, it's a difference of about $500. But let's face it, you can do just about anything with TypeTool 3.1 and even though it's entry level, it's robust enough and fun to use.

Okay, I'll get back to my letter H. That one is a piece of cake. Actually, most of the Hemingway alphabet is easy, although, I'm improvising as I go along because in real life, most of Hemingway's lower case letters are not very legible, almost like scribbles.

So his alphabet is all about a few key letters, the E, H, lower case t and y for example are very distinctive. I can't translate it literally but that's what makes it fun to mimic and I'll make some subtle changes, improvements from the construction I started on FontStruct.

I'll post the results and make comparisons here very soon. Until then, happy glyphing folks.






No comments:

Post a Comment